Thy Ancient Experience
the Life of the Human's of
THY ANCIENT WORLD
About This Course
*there will be the option to attend in person or take the course virtually until further notice*
Children often imagine that people in the ancient world were much different than themselves. Discover with us that humans are the same then, as we are today. In this course, your student will encounter what it means to be truly human.
- Discover how Romans were bullies but also hated them.
- Explore great military victories as well as the very human mistakes and significant failures.
- Be inspired by the excellence achieved in physical as well as intellectual pursuits by the Athenians and the Spartans.
- Communicate through your art and writing like an ancient Egyptian.
- Agree with Hammurabi on the importance of laws.
Drop your student off one day a week to BE immersed in ancient history. In 30 sessions, your student will write and illustrate a volume of Ancient History as they learn the History, Fine Arts, Geography, Science, and Literature.
Each class is limited to 20 student in this "Terra Style" (Project Based Learning) course. In our 30 sessions, your student will address a real-world problem, develop its solution, and present their answer using the skills they acquire. PBL is the act of learning about different subjects simultaneously. This is achieved by guiding students to accomplish a creative goal. Our goal is to write and illustrate a volume of Ancient History, where the student can record their insights about the nature of the human experience.
- History - Meet the crucial figures that move nations. Discover the beliefs, traditions, and passions that motivated those individuals.
- Beginning Drawing - Our history is taught with art. Every student will master the skill of drawing. We start with beginning-level instruction for all grade levels.
- Science - The natural world opens up to us as we discover the things the ancients knew. Astronomy, Anatomy, Agriculture are only the A's of our adventure.
- Literature - Classical mythology from Egypt, Babylon, Greco-Roman and Early Christian cultures. Join us for Socratic discussion.
- Geography - We will learn the history of geographic discovery as well as games and crafts from around the world.
- Fine Art - Ancient art is the foundation of all of art history, with its techniques, forms, and subject matter continuing to influence the art of today. You will make representative copies of great classical art in class.
TOPICS WE WILL COVER :
The Human Craving for Communication: Cave Paintings
The Human Desire for Story: Gilgamesh
Humans Make Pictures into Words: First Writing
Humans Try to Understand the Natural World: Egyptian Gods
Humans Excel at Making Things: Architecture, Tools, Artwork
The Human Hunger for Eternal Life: An Egyptian Pyramid
Human Desire to be the Pack Leader: India, Mohenjo Daro
Humans Like Order: We Make Laws and Math, Hammurabi
Humans Love to be Served, But Not to Serve Others: The Hebrew Exodus from Egypt
Sometimes Human Families Experience Conflict: King Tut
Humans Defend Their Tribe: Celts In Europe.
Humans Work to Survive: Phoenician Traders
Humans are Competitive: The Greek Olympic Games
Humans Discover That Looking Strong Keeps You Safe: Rome; Romulus, and Remus
Humans Enjoy Entertainment: The Roman Coliseum
Humans Like to Travel to New Places: Ancient America
Humans Value Physical & Intellectual Excellence: Athens and Sparta
Human Passion for Inner Peace: India, Birthplace of Four Significant Religions
Some Humans Dream of World Domination: Cyrus The Great
Humans Love to Tell Stories: Greek & Roman Mythology
Humans Will Die for A Cause: The Spread of Democracy, Alexander The Great
Humans Love a Challenge: Hannibal Crosses the Alps
Humans Create Boundaries: Great Wall of China
Humans Realize That Their Rulers Are Not Divine: Julius Caesar.
The Human Love for Romance: Cleopatra & Julius Caesar, Cleopatra & Mark Antony
God Becomes Human: Christianity Rocks the Hellenic World
Humans Use Military Force to Bring Peace to the World: Pax Romana
The Human Compulsion to Rule the Conscience Of Others: Constantine the Great
The Human Thirst to Have What the Neighbors Have: Fall of Rome
Humans Either Hunker Down or Get Out of Town in The Bad Times: Byzantine Empire
REGISTRATION FEE: $75 per student, $50 for returning students
TUITION: $57.00 per week, $190 per month, $1710 per academic year
This course meets at our learning center for 30 sessions over a nine-month academic calendar.
Purchase books on your own or through your charter school.
TERRA'S MONEY MESSAGE:
The Registration Fee holds your spot until August 15, 2020, when you must begin monthly payments or provide a purchase order from your charter school. Your registration fee can not be paid by instructional funds from your charter and is not refundable. If you do not register and pay the registration fee, you may be surprised to find that the class is sold out, and the teacher is not prepared for your student. A purchase order is not enough to consider yourself registered. The purchase order from your charter does not give us any contact information for you, tell us specifically which class you desire, or include the signed Terms and Conditions document.
The fee also causes potential students to consider which courses they need carefully, prevents spots from being held unnecessarily, and gives the teacher accurate information from which to plan their classes. The registration fee is not deductible from the tuition.
DROP POLICY: Drops are accepted until September 31, 2020. After classes have begun, you may only drop the course if you have withdrawn from homeschooling or moved out of the area. You are responsible for your student's balance for the semester, whether or not your student attends. The course will be prorated for late enrollees.
Our system does NOT hold your spot until payment is received.
Westminster Location: Choose one day a week for 30 weeks
8:30 am to 2:00 pm (Tuesday or Wednesday)
9am to 12 pm (Monday "Foundation Course")
Course Begins: September 14, 2020
Main Text: Story of the World, Book 1 and Workbook
ALL LEARNING CENTER COURSES WILL BE BACKED UP BY OUR POLICY OF SWITCHING TO A VIRTUAL PLATFORM SHOULD THE CDC REQUIRE.